Codifying Values & Business Principles
Values & Innovation
Managing Values is a values driven organisation committed to helping others identify and codify values and ethical principles to help employees thrive and achieve business goals. For those leaders who get it right, clarifying values and aligning systems, renews employee commitment and enhances morale as control gives way to a trusting environment. It is here that innovation is released.
We help leaders help their people to bring their best selves to work and share in the organisation’s success. All successful organisations in the values area are successful because they nurture inclusive cultures that:
- Promote a shared vision for success
- State a clear purpose and set of values that employees can sign up to
- Define key relationships inside and between stakeholders
- Measure culture and benchmark workplace actions against stated values
Without prescribing what a set of values should look like, we help identify values and initiatives that ensure employees better understand their personal accountability and how they can enhance their workplace experiences. This is achieved through:
The process of clarifying an organisation’s values begins with:
- The values currently being lived out in the organisation and the values its members aspire to
- The values that will enable the organisation’s goals to be better served
- The values desired by wider stakeholder groups
- The best set of values that will resonate with members; refresh culture and accelerate progress
Building Boardroom to back room values alignment
Here we build the business case to secure buy in from the board room to the back room to the values initiative. We facilitate a dialogue with critical stakeholders to position values as:
- The organisation’s success formula (aligned to strategy)
- A blue print for the leadership model
- A valuable collective and risk management decision making model
- Guiding the Personality of organisation
- Integral to performance management indicators
- The basis of the organisation’s social license to operate
Values Communications Strategy
Organisational feedback and research is collated and used to draft a set of values and supporting behaviour standards. The draft values are then presented to the Executive team for validation. Once signed off , they are rolled out in workshops and townhall meetings.
Workshops are designed to skill employees in values based decision making addressing a set of typical set of workplace issues. In so doing they promote:
- A shared understanding of the types of behaviours that will represent the organisation’s stated values in pursuit of its business goals
- A shared understanding of what is unacceptable behaviour at work
- The link between organisational values and cultural consistency across departmental or geographic boundaries
- A boundary between personal and organisational values and when one takes priority over the other
- Employee awareness of how values can be challenged and how to raise issues of concern
- Participant understanding of the macro context of social changes affecting workplaces today resulting in new expectations of appropri-ate workplace standards
Our Leadership Values Workshop are designed to gain high-level commitment from each member of the Leadership team to role model the stated values and safe-guard the integrity of the organisation by building values based workplace cultures. Non financial risk is today seen as one of the greatest challenges for leader-ship teams and our values and ethics initiatives are designed to skill leaders to address this growing area of concern.
Drawing on the latest research, we build the business case for “managing by values” and showcase best practices from around the world.
Leaders are challenged to engage with values dilemmas drawn from their business context and to justify to peers how decisions can be made to balance growing business with safeguarding reputation for integrity. The Executive team then work together on an action to plan designed to incorporate stated values and busi-ness principles into:
- The Strategic and Operation Plans
- The Fraud, Risk & Corruption Plan
- Performance Management and Reward and Recognition systems
- Recording and reporting systems and Community engagement
- Cultural change programs
- Heightened understanding of the advantages of values based management practices and their relationship to contemporary concepts such as “social license to operate”, “stakeholder capitalism”, “reputation stewardship” and “employee engagement”.
- Heightened understanding of the boundaries between organisational and personal values and where each takes priority and how it shapes personal accountability.
- Skill development in responding appropriately to what is expected in meeting the principles and values embedded in codes of conduct and codes of ethics